Friday, February 6, 2015

Birthday Carnage: Sea Urchin, Duck and Cheese!

After a long day of shopping in NYC, it was time to suit up for dinner.

For the starter, I wanted to do a light but fresh sea urchin dish. I had never done sea urchin or anything of the sort before, so I used Bobby Flay's recipe for raw sea urchin bruschetta. It was a simple mix of the tongues (the meat of the sea urchin looks just like a tongue!), lemon juice, dry sherry, olive oil, cilantro, and diced yellow onion. I served it over bread fried in olive oil, with a lemon wheel for garnish. Was VERY light and delicious. The sea urchin was extremely tender!




For the second course I made duck breast fillets, pan roasted in oil, and served them over a wilted watercress, caramelized pear, spring onion, and garlic salad. I wilted the watercress in sherry and olive oil, and caramelized the pears in a generous helping of butter.

On top of the duck I made a salsa of shallots, blood oranges, pomegranate seeds, golden beets, lime juice and cilantro. It was delicious on the duck...orange flavors always go so well.

The duck was superb and the salads were just enough. I had to slice the entire breasts into thirds because the whole breast was gigantic. A very sharp knife did the trick.

For dessert I put together a cheese board with a selection of one creamy blue cheese and one aged french, along with a collection of macaroons and salted caramels. So yummy. And light!

Drank a divine bottle of Chateneuf du Pape last night that went so well with the duck. We had a bottle of Domaine Carneros by Tattinger sparkling wine with the sea urchin. 

Now on my way into the city for a dinner by other people. We have three stops to make so will be a good bit of hopping around. 

Until next time!


No comments:

Post a Comment