Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Restaurant Review: Le Diplomate

So we decided to take my mom here for her 50th  birthday celebrations. Le Diplomate has a reputation in D.C. of being exceptional, sought-after, and sometimes exclusive. The menu alone makes you salivate....chicken liver pate with brioche, escargot, scallops, filet mignon, a variety of raw bar options....very traditional and very, very french.

The decor was straight out of a Parisian corner cafe, red awnings and all. Tables were close together, yet still very comfortable. We had made a reservation and one party was running very late, so I was concerned that we would not be able to hold our table, but it ended up being just fine in the end.

We started with the escargot and chicken liver pate as appetizers. I had heard from multiple reputable sources that the starters were really the stars of the show...and they did not disappoint. The escargot was served out of shell in a butter and herb sauce, each topped with a puff pastry to substitute serving the snails over toast. This was brilliant, delicious, and very practical. The chicken liver pate was delightful. Silky smooth and not too heavy, they served it with a berry compote with toasted brioche. Ended up asking for more brioche as the pate serving was quite large, but between three people nothing overwhelmed our appetites and certainly left us wanting more!


In between course we had to do oysters. Well, when I say we I mean my father and I, my mother does not suffer from the same raw shellfish addiction that we do. It's a crutch, but such a pleasant and delicious one to have! East and West coast based on what was fresh and available, basic and delicious.



 Unfortunately the mains were not quite as spectacular. Don't get me wrong, they were excellent! For the price point and reputation though, I was expecting something truly divine. I had the scallops which were served with rhubarb and a cream sauce. The scallops were well cooked but small in size and the sauce, despite being wonderfully rich and creamy, overwhelmed the delicate dish.


I did enjoy a pleasant trip down memory lane on the wine front. Fixin is such an underrated (because its widely unknown) Burgundy and it is just so wonderful. This 2011 was just what I wanted-earthy, thin, and acidic. A classic young Burgundy to pair with our fish on a reasonable price point. If you can ever find good bottles of this gem, buy them! Generally comes a little cheaper than other villages because it is not as well known, but produces equally good wines. 


After starters, oysters, and relatively rich mains, we didn't feel like tasting through the dessert menu too much. We did get one though, just so we could have a nice candle extinguishing ritual for the birthday girl! The creme brulee really was awesome, light and fluffy rather than rich and heavy. An excellent finish to an overall very good meal.


Other than a mildly overrated entrees menu, the only other thing I noticed on a negative note at Le Diplomate was the management behavior on the floor. One of the managers had clearly been upset by something early in the evening, but very publicly dismissed service staff on the floor for it, which gave off a very negative vibe. Our server was excellent himself, attentive and friendly without being intrusive. The particular manager's behavior was off-putting though, especially because I also work in the service industry. 

I would rate my overall experience as 4/5 stars....losing a star due to the entree menu and the managements public demeanor. I would highly recommend a trip in for wine, oysters and appetizers, but I would leave it there. The bar was hopping, and when I return I think I will spend more time in that area of the restaurant. 




Oh yeah, and happy 50th to my beautiful and amazing mama!

Until next time...



No comments:

Post a Comment