Friday, March 14, 2014

Lobster Stew!

So I am totally obsesssed with this food blog I found last night, Cannelle et Vanille (http://www.cannellevanille.com). The pictures are so drool-worthy and I love the recipes they have posted. I decided to give their lobster stew a try because it sounded super easy and comforting.

Well, it totally was.

I took two lobster shells and boiled them in two cups of water for 5 minutes, until partially cooked. I de-shelled the meat and cooked the shells with thyme sprigs and olive oil, adding the cooking liquid and white wine from the original lobster boil after they were fully red. Their recipe suggested whiskey, which I think would be excellent too, but I had white wine around the house and it was still delicious!

Once the broth is reduced. I drained all of the shells and herbs out of the broth. I sliced a small fennel bulb (or half of a large one) and a leek thinly and softened in a pot over medium heat with a generous dollop of salted butter. Once softened (but not browned), I added the broth, the lobster meat (diced), half cup of coconut milk and a half cup heavy whipping cream. Let it come to a simmer and stir briefly and voila! Done and deeeeeeelicious.


Although it sounds super heavy, it wasn't at all. The lobster broth totally cut through the cream so that you got all the wonderful flavor without any of the rich stomach regret. I made it with two lobster tails and easily finished the whole thing myself, but would be great for an appetizer for two. One lobster tail per stew as an appetizer, maybe two for a single full dinner serving. But then again, I love to indulge.

This was the most perfect "transition from bitter winter to cold spring" dish. Bravo Cannelle et Vanille, I salute your culinary prowess!

I finished off with a mozzarella rosette served with salted fresh tomatoes and a drizzle of balsalmic and my leftover calabrese salami.


Until next time, bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment