Monday, December 8, 2014

B is for...Branzino!!!

Man do I love Branzino (European Sea Bass). I've never been one for American species...who knows why. Maybe I was just a finicky eater as a child. Regardless...

No one should ever eat filets of this fish...you just miss out on so much other goodness! Head on, tail on, stuffed with some savory bits and seasoned skins is just perfect in my books. Whole Foods (where I trust the fishmonger when I don't have time to go to a specialty market) was doing a great special on the fish, so for my family of three I bought two whole fish (2.3 lbs). I should have bought three whole fish...lesson learned. These things are like the crack cocaine of sea dwelling creatures-second only to oysters, because, let's be real, nothing beats a dinner of four dozen oysters. Yes, I've done it. On multiple occasions. You only judge me because you're jealous.

For dinner I made a salad of pears, red grapes, rocquefort, charred endives (on the grill), walnuts, bacon bits and champagne vinaigrette. A hell of a lot going on but pretty delicious. For perfect blue cheese mix, freeze the block and then grate it over the salad for more of a blue cheese "snow". It helps even out the flavors rather than getting an overpowering chunk of funk in the odd bite here and there.



I've had branzino several different ways. A fisherman's style tomato base sauce is great with it, but I was feeling lazy and decided to go with an even more basic citrus stuffing. I sliced one large lemon into wheels and stuffed the inside of the fish with the wheels, a drizzle of olive oil and a LOT of thyme. Don't worry about taking the herbs off of the stems...I just threw in the whole branch. I also generously seasoned the fish with rock salt and pepper. I tied the fish closed with poultry string and generously rubbed the skin with olive oil, salt and pepper.



I've been a big fan of throwing things right on the grate of the grill recently, as it produces a nice char that you can't really replicate otherwise. Make sure to have extra oil on hand and a clean grill though, as the skin is delicate and can be sacrificed to the grill gods if you're not careful. It didn't take long to grill, just a five-six minutes on each side. The fact that the fish is open made it easy to check the inside of it as I went.



I didn't serve it over a salad or with a garnish....just the fish. It's easy enough to filet at the table, just start gently at the cheek seperating it from the bone, moving towards the tail. The cheek is the best part...(that piece right behind the eye), so be careful not to overlook it!

I served the fish with a Gavi wine, super dry, crisp yet fruity Italian wine made from the Cortese grape. Absolutely perfect for fish of any kind (as long as there is no cream in the sauce).

It makes some people squeamish to be served a head on fish....but it really guarantees you enjoy every delicious part of it, and don't miss out on any good meaty bits in a pre or post cooked filet. Also, let's be honest. All meat consumed once had eyes and a heartbeat. Get over it!



Until next time, play with your food!

No comments:

Post a Comment