Friday, December 12, 2014

Christmas Cookies from the Garden...

So, as I mentioned in my last post, the Holiday issue of Bon Appetit is the bomb. Go buy one now. And I WISH they paid me to say that. *Hint Hint*

Another tidbit I got from this bangarang issue was for Christmas cookies! They had an entire section devoted to atypical Christmas sweets that, frankly, looked unreal. So of course I HAD to give 'em a try.

We started with their lavender shortbread wreaths, which became lavender shortbread holly sprigs since I didn't have a wreath cookie cutter. The recipe is attached to the link HERE. I followed the recipe closely and they turned out FABULOUSLY. So yummy, easy to decorate, and a lot of room to be creative. I decorated with edible flowers (from Whole Foods), candied rosemary from my garden, dried cranberries, crushed pistachios and crushed candy canes.



I also tried their White Chocolate Matcha Cookie...replacing the matcha with peppermint (see link above). Matcha is a super grassy green tea, and although I think the balance with the sugar could have turned out nicely...I really didn't want to waste all that butter for something that reminded me of the rash I used to get when I rolled around in dewy grass. I just removed the matcha from the cookie recipe and rather than mixing the tea in with the sugar to coat the outside of the cookies, I mixed regular granulated sugar with crushed candy canes. Funnest part? Crushing the candy canes using a hammer, saw, and the bottom of my boot.



These are SO delicious and such a great way to change it up during the holiday season. Festive without being kitchy.....though I do love me some good Christmas kitch.



Until next time, deck the halls!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment