Monday, February 17, 2014

Experiment A La Boredom: Hot and Creamy Bison Crostini

So I needed a distraction last week and ended up in Whole Foods with no idea what I was going to make. Luckily, Whole Foods has a bar. With a glass of chardonnay to get the juices flowing, I found the last two bison flank steaks, and decided to run with that one. I wasn't feeling like anything too heavy, and wanted to try something that would be easily share-able. And thus was born my hot and creamy bison crostini!

While I was cooking I nommed on some fried family bread with a spread of La Tur cheese with a hot peach chutney. So savory and delicious. Heavily peppered of course.




Back to the really good stuff though. I had heard about mixing guacamole and goat cheese, and figured I would give it a go. And holy crap was it worth it. A 40-60 concoction of goat cheese and a mild avocado guacamole was the perfect base for the spicy buffalo and salsa. Whatever your most basic avocado guacamole recipe, with two generous dobs of goats cheese, thoroughly whipped, create this super creamy and mild (almost cheesy) spread that is perfect to help calm even the hottest of spice.

Anyhow so that's how the "build" started. Fried olive bread, and a GENEROUS spread of the goat cheese guac.

Then came the bison. I rubbed a generous amount of ground pepper and salt on both sides of the raw bison flank steaks, and then seared either side briefly over super high heat, then roasted them for about 5-10 minutes in the oven at about 350 degrees farenheit (until medium). I set them aside to cool and then sliced them thinly over the goat cheese guacamole on the toast.

Finally, the final bit (which I think was the best part) was the sweet and suuuuper spicy salsa that was the final layer. I boiled beets and finely diced them. I combined them with minced garlic, chopped cilantro, finely chopped shallots, a few squeezed of lime juice, and one mined habanero. After mixing the salsa, I placed generous spoonfulls on top of the bison.



After a drizzle of reduced balsalmic vinegar, it was ready for eating! As much as the flavors competed, they did find balance in the extreme. It was a super fun dish. But a LOT of effort. But fun. Yes. Just like my redundant use of language.

Presentation is super important to me, as I feel a dish should look just as pretty as it tastes. Garnishing is a huge part of that, and it only takes a little to go a long way. One of my favorite ways of garnishing dishes is takes lime or lemon wheels (when it has been used in the dish) and slice them once into the center. Give them a twist and let them rest (twisted) lengthwise on over meat or veggies and it looks great!

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment