Friday, February 28, 2014

Fridge Diving: Night One in NYC

So on the train back from downtown grocery shopping for birthday dinner tonight, so figured I'd update on round 1 of my gourmet weekend! Last night we didn't want to do any shopping with the big dinner coming up tonight, so I just collected ingredients already in the fridge and freezer.

Decided to make a rack of goat, which I marinated in lemon wheels, olive oil, chili olives, cayenne pepper, mixed hot peppers, pesto, fresh rosemary and thyme.

Let that sit aside for a few hours, and started a salad to go with the goat. I took fresh carrots and shallots (diced), halved brussel sprouts, and apples and caramelized them in a large saute pan in generous amounts of butter. I let them cool and drizzled a POTENT dijon mustard-balsalmic vinaigrette. The lamb, after roasting in a dutch oven for about an hour (until medium rare) went over the salad with a lemon wheel for garnish. Was DELICIOUS.

When roasting the rack, I rubbed it in finely chopped mixed herbs and placed it over a bed of sliced tomatoes and olive oil in the Dutch oven. 

This was such a delicious dish but problems arose seperating the individual ribs. When I inquired at the butcher today, he asked if the spinal bones had been pre-cracked. They had not, resulting in the slicing fiasco. Just a side note for those of you cooking racks fresh off the farm! They do not always come pre-cracked!

Absolutely giddy after my shopping in the city today...so much fun food to try. Stay tuned for some killer sea urchin...dying I couldn't take home the entire fish counter!

No comments:

Post a Comment