Friday, February 28, 2014

Grocery Shopping NYC

So shopping for my birthday dinner alone deserves its own post. It was so much fun and I'm glad my mom was with me to keep me in check because I seriously needed a spending babysitter.

First stop was Ottomanelli and Son's Butcher on Bleecker St. Known for its lamb and venison, I had them butcher me up some large and BEAUTIFUL duck breast fillets. And did I mention duck bacon?! Oh yes.  If you read my blig than you are already well aware of my obsession with bacon. Duck bacon just takes it to a whole new level!

Next was Eataly, and my nerves were so unraveled walking into this heaven that I just had to have oysters and wine. I tried a blend of chardonnay, sauvignon blanc and spulati that was delicious. Acidic and dry. The oysters were small but perfectly salty and juicy. Had a plate of mozzarella di buffala and prosciutto san daniele. And so the rampage began.

First of all, the variety of everything that is available is just so impressive. Secondly, its organized beautifully!

I picked up all my fruit and vegetables, and then moved to the fish monger. This counter is RIDICULOUS. I wanted EVERYTHING. My gourmet imagination ran wild but my mother helped me show self control.

They had some sea urchin left so I had them remove the tongues and package them. Everything was reasonably priced and the mongers were very nice and helpful. Im going back for the octopus, langoustines, and scorpion fish....

Now meal planning on the train home.  Stay tuned for some serious eats!

Into the city tomorrow for OTHER peoples food and cannot wait! Until then!

No comments:

Post a Comment