Tuesday, February 25, 2014

The Christmas Finale

I get a whole goat from my grandfather once or twice a year, and its delicious! You can do so much with goat, whether sweet or spicy, but you just have to be careful with preparation so that it does not become tough (this is very easy to do).

So anyhow, I made goat chops for the main for the Christmas extravaganza. I marinated them in cranberry juice, a little red wine, fresh chopped cherries, fresh sprigs rosemary and thyme, and a dash dijon mustard.

Right before serving, I quickly seared either side over high heat in a large pan and then roasted them for 5-10 minutes until medium.



Simultaneously, I reduced fresh cherries in a large sautee pan that had been pitted. When there is quite a bit of cooked juice, I strained out the cherries and put the juice back on to simmer. I added a little bit of balsalmic vinegar and let reduce to a thicker sauce.



I served the goat chops over a winter vegetable mash (fennel, potatoes, leeks, onion) and poured a little bit of the sauce over the top with a few cooked cherries as garnish. Was delicious!



These turned out to be pretty small portions, so it was totally manageable to finish. I paired it with a pretty big cabernet, heavy on the black fruit flavors. I've had a great foradori from work (in hindsight) that would go great with it!

And at that...we were far too full for dessert. We had made individual blueberry pies that would have been delicious...but opted out in the fear we might burst!

Signing out from the snow globe!

No comments:

Post a Comment