Monday, February 17, 2014

Restaurant Review: The Green Pig

So I had been dying to go to the Green Pig for dinner for ages now. I had been with my best friend for brunch a few weeks back, which was outstanding, and was looking for any excuse to indulge in their dinner menu.

The brunch is limited but perfect. Has something for everyone...sweet, savory, gourmet and atypical. The menu is outstanding and the bloody mary just perfect in every balance of spicy and sweet. I always ask for extra hot peppers in mine, but my mother was pregnant with me in Korea and my hair is red as fire. It's in my blood and I don't judge if other people don't possess the same need for heat.

As an appetizer (for brunch, yes), they served us cooked to order sweet buns. It was stupid good. The buns came out steaming after about 10-15 minutes, smothered in cream cheese frosting that was not too sweet. I nearly died. And then came course two.



An insanely large piece of fried chicken...in between two belgian waffles...smothered in onion chutney...and DROWNING in a hell of a lot of gravy AND maple syrup. There are few words for the level of indulgence this offered both my friend and I.

So, of course, I had to go back for round two.

Finally got my chance this weekend when my best friend from college came down to visit. He and I had a history on indulging on nice food, so we CERTAINLY indulged.

On a Sunday night this place was jammed. We put ourselves on the waitlist then went for some champagne across the road at my sister restaurant (I am a wine bartender by night). We came back thirty minutes later and I already knew EXACTLY what I wanted.

Now the wine list is good, but not outstanding. I ordered an oaked California Chardonnay (the Reatta) which was good, but nothing special. I prefer a good European chardonnay for what I was eating. French and un-oaked would have been ideal. I'm super picky about wine, but don't judge a wine list that I don't have any say in. The only issue I might have is the limited selection. I work at a wine bar, and I like a little more choice by the glass than this particular list offered.

Regardless, the chardonnay was good! We started with a romaine salad in ranch with blue cheese, fresh grapes, bacon bits, fresh sliced radishes and walnuts. Was seriously yummy and quite refreshing.

We then split a squid dish with gnocchi made with the squid ink, so it was JET black. Was outstanding and totally out of the ordinary.

Now I love atypical dishes, so I couldn't resist the bone marrow toast. They served it IN the bone, so you had to dig it out of the center. This was a little off putting to my friend but I LOVED it. Every scraping moment of it. The marrow was super fatty (well it is fat after all) but made a great spread when roasted. They served it with a sweet and tart onion chutney and garlic mixed with parsley. Insanely rich and well paired. One of the highlights of the night.

Displaying 20140216_200300.jpg


For our mains, we ordered a rockfish over pork belly, brussel sprouts and butternut squash. It was delicious. No sauce, just well seasoned, perfectly cooked filet of fish (skin on...perfectly crispy). My friend got roast chicken, smothered in a delicious balance of herbs. It was all just so good. So rich though, that I couldn't make it to the end of my dish, and shamefully, had to get a box.

Displaying 20140216_202911.jpg

The service left a little something to be desired. The waitress was very nice, but a little absent. They were quite busy, but even coming from the service industry I felt there could have been a little more attention paid.

The ambiance was exceptional for dinner. Low lit, granite tables, some family style seating and some individual. The open kitchen was great, I love seeing the kitchen at work. I would love to go back and sit at the bar. They certainly find a nice balance of modern and classic.

Can't wait to go back, but hope they do switch out the menu seasonally for some more exciting options!



No comments:

Post a Comment